overshot waterwheel at combe house hotel in holford, somerset, england. it was used to grind oak bark for the tannery complex established here in the 1840s. when the tannery closed in 1900 the waterwheel was adapted to other uses such as grinding grain for grist, cutting chaff, chopping apples for the cider press.
in 1251 the customary tenants of the bishop of ely were required to use the horse mill even though other mills were available. horningsea a horse powered mill in 1251. little eversden a horse mill £50 on the coprolite workings .1871. meldreth: a horse powered mill was used to process material from coprolite mine between 1860-1890. newton-in .
located on the north west corner of portion 52, the bottle kilns in close physical relationship with 'raffan's mill' c. 1889 - a small, single level, nineteenth century brick structure still displaying its mill grinding machinery. also rare, the mill consists of three separate areas and appears to have been part of a larger complex.
history. shiremark mill was built in 1774, incorporating some material from a demolished open trestle post mill which had stood at clark's green tq 176 398, it was so named because it stood close to the border with sussex, and although often thought of as a sussex mill, actually stood just within surrey by some 20 yards 18 m .. the mill was offered for sale in 1777, described as 'new-built .
most of these were corn mills to grind flour , but almost any industrial process needing motive power, beyond that available from the muscles of men or animals, used a water wheel, unless a windmill was preferred. today only a fraction of these mills survive. many are used as private residences, or have been converted into offices or flats.