as a summary, a doubly-fed induction machine is a wound-rotor doubly-fed electric machine and has several advantages over a conventional induction machine in wind power applications. first, as the rotor circuit is controlled by a power electronics converter, the induction generator is able to both import and export reactive power.
the mill was at one time equipped with patent sails. in 1934, one of the archimedes' screws was transferred to the lytse mûne. the spurwheel needed to drive the second screw was removed around 1986 and later reused in gristmill de vlijt. a centrifugal pump was installed in 1943 and the mill ceased to work.
a layshaft is an intermediate shaft within a gearbox that carries gears, but does not transfer the primary drive of the gearbox either in or out of the gearbox. layshafts are best known through their use in car gearboxes, where they were a ubiquitous part of the rear-wheel drive layout. with the shift to front-wheel drive, the use of layshafts .
the wind turbine has an overall height of 220 m 722 ft , a diameter of 164 m 538 ft , is for offshore use, and is the world's largest-capacity wind turbine since its introduction in 2014. conventional drive trains consist of a main gearbox and a medium-speed pm generator. prototype installed in 2014 at the
a mill engine with manual barring. the large flywheel on the left has a ring of teeth, which may be engaged with a crowbar resting on the green-painted support. barring engine on a large 1903 mill engine. note the drive by internal gear teeth. a barring engine is a small engine, usually a steam engine, that forms part of the installation of a .
a spline on the end of a manual transmission input shaft. clutch disc with splined hub to mesh with input shaft pictured above. a drive shaft with a spline in the center and universal joints at the ends to transmit torque and rotation and allow for changes in length. splines on the cv end of an axle shaft. matching splines of a bicycle cassette .
the drive from the windmill's rotor was led down through the tower and back out through the wall to turn a large wheel known as a noria. the noria supported a bucket chain which dangled down into the well. the buckets were traditionally made of wood or clay. these windmills remained in use until the 1950s, and many of the towers are still standing.
queen street mill is a grade i listed building. in harle syke, a suburb to the north-east of burnley, lancashire.it was built in 1894 for the queen street manufacturing company. it closed on 12 march 1982 and was mothballed, but was subsequently taken over by burnley borough council and maintained as a museum. in the 1990s ownership passed to lancashire museums.
the penny-farthing is a direct-drive bicycle, meaning the cranks and pedals are fixed directly to the hub. instead of using gears to multiply the revolutions of the pedals, the driven wheel is enlarged to be close to the rider's inseam , to increase the maximum speed.
the penny-farthing, also known as a high wheel, high wheeler and ordinary, was the first machine to be called a 'bicycle'. it was popular in the 1870s and 1880s, with its large front wheel providing high speeds owing to it travelling a large distance for every rotation of the legs and comfort the large wheel provides greater shock absorption .it became obsolete from the late 1880s with the .
a five speed manual was reserved for front wheel drive only cars with the 81 kw tdi engine. the volkswagen group seven speed direct-shift gearbox dsg was option exclusively for the 1.2 tsi, while the six speed direct-shift gearbox dsg was available for the 103 kw 140 ps two litre common rail diesel engine.